Scooby Guru

Member#: 159474
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoward1 View Post
I think there is quite a lot of confusions between what I personally have been trying to express about owning the GTR and people thinking that I donít think the car is good. This morning on the drive in I think I have come up with a good analogy.

Company Tablerus has built a new machine, it can product high end coffee tables from uncut wood that even includes a variety of designs and finishes. The only requirement of the operator is to glue the produces pieces together in the right order. There isnít a machine on the market that can touch the quality or the speed of this machine. Tablerus has earned pride in this machine as this is the pinnacle of their designs to date. Now would I want this machine? Yes if:
1) I own a table making company, but in this role I actually have no direct involvement in making a table.
2) If I am the operator and I get paid by the number of tables I produce.
3) I am trying to set the world record for the number of tables made in an hour.

I do NOT want this machine if
1) I want to show my skills as a carpenter
2) Building a table or two a year as a hobby in my garage just for fun.
3) Just like shaping the wood the way I want

Itís not just the transmission for me, itís the fact that the car pretty much does everything for you and makes you look good doing it. There is no refining your skill, sense of pride by pushing up to and sometimes the edge, no sense of balance. A Sports car is a hobby car for me, I want to drive them for the fun, not the results. If I need to get paid to win I want the best tool for the job, otherwise I want a sense of accomplishment. I want to know that I won a race based on my driving and prep, not that the machine did 90% of the skill work for me. That includes just spirited drives on the weekends. The GT-R falls in the category of a hobby/fun car even though many consider it as a daily. I would love to have all the features the GT-R has in a sedan that I could use a daily driver. I think a DSG/PDK is perfect for that, auto for the daily grind, but sport when needed, but I donít want that for the ďhobbyĒ driving. Then as a driver a person is no better than some of the pop music groups many complain about. The ones that have the melodies written by a computer through an algorithm that says it will sell, and lyrics by some guy they have never met, only sound good with auto tune and studio work, and have to lip sync when performing live. They may be selling a load of songs, but the tech is doing all the work. Iíd much rather be the guy who performs acoustic in a small club if I have other significant income means.

Ok, done for now voicing my opinion.
Thanks for this. I appreciate the thought into the analogy.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote