Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
03blackwrx02yellowsv
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 229840
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
03 wrx
MBP black

Default clutch slipping in 03 wrx, clutch, install, and flywheel upgrade questions

03 wrx, stage 2, mostly suspension mods, 100k miles

car is my DD, couple auto x events a year, couple drag strip runs a year, very spirited weekend driver

clutch recently just started slipping in 5th and 4th gear under full boost

Did lots of research on NASIOC and I am gonna do the clutch and pressure plate swap myslef. (I have replaced my axles and knucles recently so I can get to that point no problem and I have replaced a clutch in a CRX couple years ago, so am somewhat knowledgeable in that regards).
Previous owner had upgraded the clutch with around 40k miles, so I am actually familiar with and enjoyed the heavy clutch pedal, but am somewhat concerned as to whether the flywheel has previously been resurfaced.

couple questions:
Leaning very heavily to either

1. Exedy clutck kit.... either OE, stage 1 or stage 1 HD

2. Competition Cutch stage 2 kit

3. Act heavy duty clutch kit

any suggestions?

I obviously want to resurface the flywheel with a shop that has a blanchard grinder, anybody know a good shop in and around the Cincinnati area that can do this for me or should I just buy a new OE one or a lightened one?

Kits comes with clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool. Should I replace the rear main seal while I am in there?

Does a flywheel exist that falls somewhere between too light (12 lbs) and stock?

Any other recomendations?

Once I have the tranny removed, anybody in the Cincinnati area wanna help with installation including some beer and pizza or ok with being avaialble for questions?

Thanks in advance!
Jamie
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
03blackwrx02yellowsv is offline   Reply With Quote