Scooby Newbie

Member#: 218469
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
96 SVX
Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
This is info I have needed for a while. Did you use both halves of the inserts? Many thanks for this.
No, the package comes with 4 pieces. 2 of them are the diff inserts, which are used here, they have 2 "sticks" and 1 "crescent moon" sticking out of them each. The other 2 pieces are outrigger inserts I believe on the newer cars, or some other piece. You just use the 2 for the diff and insert them from the rear after trimming an 1/8 to 1/4 inch off each side of the "crescent moon". I should've gotten a couple pictures before inserting them, but I was trying to get the whole rear end done in a couple hours and pressing for time.

These should also work on the older legacy and impreza diffs with the same style bushing for those who don't want to fight and do the superpro bushings (will be a very tight fit and require even more trimming). The superpro bushings for the older legacy and impreza however DO NOT fit the SVX diff crossmember, which is why I went with this solution. The SVX diff bushing has a larger diameter and is thicker than the legacy and impreza bushing.

The only bushings that were really a problem were the trailing arm forward bushings. Having the sleeve machined out for the 14mm bolt was not an issue, but realizing after I had everything installed that the bushing was overall too thick and having to take it all back apart and trim things down was very tiring at the end of the day when it was getting dark and cold. Knowing ahead of time should save someone else some time if they try and install them in the future I hope. A razor knife worked well for trimming the 1/8 inch off each bushing half and my chop saw made quick work of the 1/4 inch off the crush sleeve. Who knows, TIC may even make a couple sets this way and throw them on the shelf and list them up for those who can't modify them on their own. After all, they only list 1 product on their site that fits the SVX, when there are plenty more that do thanks to subaru reusing designs.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TireIron is online now   Reply With Quote