Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #39
makemoves
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299310
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
World Rally Blue

ok, I am halfway through the process and its already 1am... going to be a long night.
Before I say this, let me say that I am going to use the torque plate while sizing my rings and honing... and I feel it is ABSOLUTELY good practice and the right thing to do to be as precise as possible. I looked at the recommendations from cosworth on the ring gaps and the range was quite large... lets take the top ring gap for example, the RECCOMENDED range was from .012" to .018" (cosworth rings 8.2 comp 99.75 bore)... If you are sizing the rings without a torque plate and the block was honed with a torque plate, (I THINK the difference would be a maximum of around .002 w/ vs w/o) then you should be safe sizing the rings to .015... that way you will still be within the range.
I am using a torque plate however and will be setting all the ring gaps as close as humanly possible because of how important the rings are and because I can. BUT for someone who doesn't have access to a torque plate ect. the cylinders may have slightly different ring gaps... but they should all be within the recommended spec
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
makemoves is offline   Reply With Quote