Scooby Guru

Member#: 15341
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellynuts View Post
I'm a little late in replying to this but...

IMO, and purely on non-video perspective, I would choose full frame bodies before lenses.

I am by every means an amateur photographer, and only shoot for my own pleasure, but ever since I picked up my FF body, any (non-DX) lens I've shot with has been a magical experience. (I did end up selling all my DX lenses).

If you're a guitarist, I can use this analogy:

A quality guitar through a cheap amp will sound like crap.
A cheap guitar through a quality amp will sound good.

I am NOT saying that quality glass through a starter body will produce poor results. But I have found that my FF body is like a good amp and just makes everything more satisfying.

But when it comes to video, I have no experience :P
Again, it really depends on what you're shooting. If you don't shoot wide angle very often, then a full frame camera might actually be a bit useless, especially since the crop factor gives you more range on the telephoto end. That's why a lot of automotive photographers I know don't even have a full frame camera, but still produce very excellent results. A good example of this is Larry Chen at Speedhunters...he uses a Canon 1DX which isn't full frame (It's APS-H, which is in between APS-C and full frame), but his work really speaks for itself. He even shoots wide angle and still gets great results from his non-full frame camera.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote