Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #492
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
I'm brand new here, and I'm glad I did read this.

I bought a 2013 STI a few weeks ago, and even from the test drive, the one thing I was unhappy with is the braking. I was about to start looking at what brake upgrades people have been doing.

I'm a bit spoiled. The brakes on my 370Z are a bit bigger, and I have considerably more tire patch in the Z, so it ought to brake better.

After reading this, I feel pretty good about what the STI can do. I'll just have to put wider/stickier rubber on it if I want it to brake faster.

And I must be in the 1% who does drive the twisties and take my cars to race tracks.

Still, great thread.

There are 2 things your 370 has going for it. And possibly 3.

1. Wider rubber. (I don't know if its stickier/as sticky, but its probably close to the same) =more traction=more ability to slow down without locking up.

2. Chassis balance. Better balanced car=more even weight on the front AND rear tires=they can grab harder without locking up. The STI is very nose heavy, so the rear gets REALLY light when braking, so the tires lock up pretty easy=the ABS has to come on earlier in the rear= lowers the amount of braking that can be done.

and POSSIBLY a 3rd. I don't know what your 370Z weighs, but I am betting its lighter than the STI. Lighter cars can stop quicker than heavier ones.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote