Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335696
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STI (5dr)
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
Scams only work if you allow yourself to get scammed.

Dealer calls, says they have a car in stock, but it doesn't have what you ordered, but they can install it for more money.

You tell dealer that you will come down to look at the car before you decide.

If the car doesn't have everything you want, you can tell them you'll continue to wait, or tell them you'll take it - MINUS the cost of the options you had ordered in your pre-negotiated price.

If the car does have everything on it that you ordered, then you caught the dealer in a lie, and it's up to you to decide if you want to deal with a dishonest dealer.

From my understanding of the scam is it works like this:

1. You order the car "supposedly" with your options and it will be here in 3-4 weeks.

2. They call you shortly after you order and tell you it is delayed and will be here in 8 weeks. (regardless of reason, I am sure they make it sound legit).

3. They call you in 4 weeks when the car you actually ordered arrives and tell you that one came in, but not the one you ordered, minus a couple of options.

4. They give you the option, continue to WAIT for the car you ordered for the price you ordered it for OR you can pay extra to have the factory order parts "dealer installed", but that will cost because they have to pay for labor and the parts cost more when not installed at the factory.

So they GIVE you the option. They have NO downside, because they had already agreed to sell you the car for X and this is just a possible opportunity for them to squeeze out a few more $$$$.

That is how I understand the scam (or bait-n-switch) or whatever you want to call it.

However, how would one KNOW if they are being scammed or not?

I guess the advice that I was told was to get the VIN number, prior to the delivery, which would arm you with that information.

I personally don't have any experience with this, this was something that was told to me by another dealer (who has NOTHING to do with Subaru), and I just thought I would share it with the community.

I certainly wasn't looking to start anything and sorry if I did, which was not my intention.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote