Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335696
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STI (5dr)
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
If this were something that was going on, it's a simple bait and switch and has been going on for a hundred years.

Let's say for argument's sake that it is going on. So the dealer takes your order and what? Doesn't place it? Because why? Then some random car comes and he says he'll install options at a higher price. Ok. that's a pretty low probability risk of them actually having a customer take it. Wouldn't it be easier for them to ..... Oh, I don't know.... place the order for the car as you are ready to buy?

Ok.....now here is something that I would believe: Ready? You place your order. Car comes in and someone sees it, falls in love with it and is willing to buy it for $2000 more than your agreed price. Dealer sells to him and scrambles to get you a car. They offer you a different car and offer to install the options that it doesn't have. Now, that one I can believe. If you say no, he says it's going to be longer. Why? He just sold your car to someone else and is placing an order for you right now. And you know what? That's a trick older than me.

So perhaps the Audi friend is such a n00b that he hasn't heard these very old tactics and is like "oh man....listen to what some un-named dealer-but-not-me is doing" like it's never been seen before. But he misinterpreted something or forgot some details.
Unfortunately from your post, you do not seem to understand the art of this particular con (for lack of a better word). Maybe it was my lack of explanation, so let me try again.

1. They DO order the car.
2. They tell you it would take 4 weeks (which is most likely the TRUTH).
3. They call you a short time latter to tell you it has been delayed to 8-10 weeks. (the LIE).
4. They call you in 4 weeks when your car DOES arrive, but they TELL YOU it is a random car that arrived in inventory and does NOT have all the FACTORY options you ordered. However, if you want that CAR now, they can install those as "dealer options" but it will cost you $500 - $1000 more or you can wait.

Obviously no skin off the teeth of the dealer - he can sell it to someone else, sell it to you for more, and also has you locked into a car with a deposit. What's the worse case scenario for him, a loss of a deposit? Seems simple enough and plausible.

I apologize if you didn't understand this the first time, maybe it was my inability to effectively communicate it. For that I apologize.

However, I think your ad hominem efforts and calling my friend a noob is a little extreme. Are you not a moderator?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by prohobo; 11-13-2012 at 03:56 PM.
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote