Scooby Guru

Member#: 110783
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
I love how everyone blames this initial lean condition at the on-set of boost yet no one has been able to confirm that it truely is the culprit.

It also has nothing to do with emissions. Ford manages to get their Focus ST (turbo) to run a 13:1 or less AFR at 3500rpms.

When I've logged my 2012 WRX with the Torque App, it shows an AFR at ~13.5:1 at the on-set of boost and the richening up into the 12s shorterly thereafter (~4200rpms).
It is because of emissions, Clark Turner has confirmed this as he has experience on this topic. Also, look at the graph WRXLTD posted. The AFR is 14:1 until 4,250rpm and doesn't drop to 11:1 until 4,900rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
I thought the Ringland issues were with the STi's, not the WRX? That's been my understanding for the past 3 years.
It has affected every WRX engine since the 2004 model year and I believe it's the same model year with the STi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
Please do. I do remember the 09 WRX random blown motor issue, but was under the impression that 2010-2013 WRXs had no known major motor/ringland issues...
The 2009 WRX issue was unrelated to this. There was a contamination in one of the materials used in the building process and it affected July-September 2008 build dates for the 2009 WRX. 2009 WRXs built after September 2008 and all subsequent WRX model years don't have this problem, but they still suffer from the lean condition that all WRXs and STIs have since 2004.

The problem won't be resolved until Subaru ditches the EJ-series engine; it's antiquated and eventually won't be able to keep up with modern emissions requirements. Technically, it can't even keep up now unless it runs dangerously lean stock AFRs.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SWP n Gold is offline   Reply With Quote