View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #1269
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2012 Forester 2.5X
2002 WRX Sedan

Well, now that it's winter, it is pretty much impossible for me to take a photo of my car during daylight hours during the week. Because of this, I have started trying to play with some night time shots. So far I think I'd consider my first two attempts as failures, but I do think I'm learning a few things.

Here's the first try. Obviously night time and very dark. This one I tried a 30 second exposure and using a single SpeedLite fired many times (probably two dozen). I simply walked around and fired it off. I tried all sorts of different power levels, and this is the best I got. It looks OK, but not great. I think black is very hard for this technique (also my car was filthy).

Second try was finding a parking lot with a little more light and doing a long exposure. I tried to park to get as much light on the back of the car as I could. I ended up doing 20-30 second exposures at ISO100 and f/2.8. Again these look OK, but not great. The color just looked off, and I couldn't seem to correct it properly so I just turned down the saturation and went with it (also, car still not clean, lol).

Overall not that happy with the results, but I don't think they turned out too horrible. I still need to work on the different techniques a lot, but maybe someday I can take decent night photos. I think I might try light painting next. I'll need to find a good light for that...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote