Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

So some of you may have experienced the center differential falling apart due to the center diff cir-clip failing. I've seen this in a handful of Subarus locally from Outbacks, 2.5RSs, to WRXs.

This applies to any phase 2 5spd. When the cir-clip fails, it allows the differential to start falling apart. The back end will back out of the differential and the transfer gear will even start rubbing on it. The bearings at the end will even start failing as well.

I've had this happen on my sisters' '00 Outback transmission. We replaced it with a '02 2.5RS transmission to lower the rpms with its longer 5th gear, and this transmission seems to have the same symptoms now and the car can't even move.

The phase 1 transmission has a thick c-clip that holds the center differential together. I don't think I'm going to see it ever coming off. Come to think of it i have never seen this happen aside from them losing their limited slip capabilities or seizing up becoming 50:50 lock.

What I'm suggesting is Subaru just making a replacement c-clip to replace the cir-clip on their phase 2 5spd center differentials. The center differential isn't serviceable, only replaceable. The unit cost over $600 and if you include labor depending if the shop is going to drop the transmission or just lower the back end of the transmission, your looking at over $1000 altogether.

Where/who do I complain to and who will complain with me?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote