mj213
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 252218
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 Forester
Paint colored!

UPDATE:

The car was finished on monday. I hadn't had any issues until yesterday. The noise that seemed to be the pilot bearing has come back and gotten louder. I was backing out of a driveway when the car lurched to a stop (in reverse). It would only move a foot or two then stop like an AT dumped into park. Nothing seems to make a binding noise - the axles are all installed properly, no loose bolts and no fluid leaks. I was able to make the vehicle drive forward for some time.

After that, I noticed that the car seemed to have excess drag - as if there was something in the drivetrain resisting movement. I pulled over and noticed it moreso as the vehicle came to a stop. It was actually on an incline yet the vehicle was stuck as though the parking brake was on or it was off and in gear. When engaging any gear (except reverse) it was very difficult to get into gear - had to partially disengage the clutch and press on the accelerator pedal and I could again feel the resistance.

The noise seems to fade away (as the clutch assembly comes to a stop?) when in neutral or the car is turned off. I can only guess that something was either misaligned during the clutch install or a bolt broke, or came loose somehow. I am also curious if the shifter assembly wasn't installed properly, causing a misalignment in the shifter linkage, which is causing the gear engagement difficulties. It's strange as it shifts fine once the car is moving. I can even rev match without grinding (not that I do it normally).

I'll be jacking up the rear end and disconnecting the driveshaft to check for free movement to eliminate that portion of the drivetrain. Ive checked fluids - all OK. Any other help would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mj213 is offline   Reply With Quote