gggplaya
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139444
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinberg007 View Post
Wouldn't the gas mileage be even worse if the Ecoboost had the shorter gearing to make it tow better than the selected 5.0? I think it was a pretty good apples to apples comparison. They picked trucks towed about the same, performed about the same (0-60, 1/4mi, etc), and got the same mileage.

I wouldn't think so. The higher rear end ratio gives you more leverage making it easier for the engine to do it's job. Which means less load for the engine and it can jump to a higher gear faster, it can also stay in that higher gear on the highway keeping engine revs lower.

I never towed with the 5.0, but my friend's hemi stays in 4th gear(out of 5) all the time on the highway towing his travel trailer. The ecoboost stays in 6th unless it hits a hill, then jumps to 5th or 4th when going uphill. That's with a heavier trailer on the ecoboost.

Tow ratings are also not dictated by engine power, much of it has to do with the chassis, brakes, wheel base and the strength of components. Tow 7500lbs with either engine, other than a WOT test, and you'll see the difference. In WOT other than the initial short lag in first gear, the engine stays in it's powerband the entire time, which when comparing towing is really dumb.

Basing your review and comparison on max tow ratings and WOT testing is no way to judge a vehicle, especially when one vehicle is handicapped.

So towing MPG comparison between the two vehicles set up like this is worthless.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote