Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #32
CalvinT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329025
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Over the years I've seen a lot of cars that have been driven without regular oil changes. Over the long term it will shorten the life of the engine. But doing it once shouldn't be a problem.

I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 in my 2002 bugeye wagon ever since I bought it new. I followed the interval in the owner's manual until the warranty expired. The dealer was willing to do the labor and provide the filter for free just for the chance to hunt for extra work on the car.

Since then I've continued with Mobil 1 but switched to the Pure One oil filter. Two years ago I went to extended intervals. I change it once a year whether it needs it or not. I figure if BMW can warranty their cars for one year 15,000 miles between changes when using an approved synthetic, then I should be able to go one year and 5,000 miles.

After the first year I sent a sample off to Blackstone. They suggested I extend farther. My Subie is low mileage. I just went past 50,000 miles last week. The only time I have to put oil in is when I change it.

On a side note. I just went Stage One with a COBB access port. I have plans to make some conservative mods.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by CalvinT; 11-16-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Fix spelling
CalvinT is offline   Reply With Quote