View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #37
EnderDragoon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300176
Chapter/Region: SWIC

Finished repairing the upper edge of the door panels and repainted the hood. I know the color of the hood looks goofy with the black but I wanted to see what it would be like with the rally blue/yellow on an Outback. As you can see the hood was very sun faded, had millions of cracks and several dings down to the bare metal. At the least I needed to reseal the hood and 10$ of rattle cans goes a long ways.

Damage to the top edge:

Using a razor I cut a clean line back far enough to remove the damaged vinyl:

Using a razor, scotch pads and alcohol I removed the remainder of the foam padding and any residual oil/dirt as well as removed the window seal strip (~8 tabs to bend and one rivet pulls out with pliers). Surface prep is everything!

Foam padding acquired from Jo'Annes. I was told the material is typically used for padding inside quilts and can be "ironed on" to other materials. I forget what the material is called but it is very closely the same thickness as the vinyl. 1/2 yard was about $6. Trimmed to size and bonded with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

Suede with a red stitching hem line (my first time sewing with a sewing machine). Again, bonded with 3M 77. The wrinkles at the forward edge will be covered by the tweeter speaker triangle cover.

Night came before I could get finished shots in daylight, which I'll post tomorrow.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
EnderDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote