Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Kartboy Shifter Review

I was very happy with the quality of the Kartboy shifter. The finish is very nice compared to the OEM shifters. The build quality is excellent. Is a very solid piece that I would not expect to ever fail. It looks much more sleek than the chunky OEM shifters.

One construction difference from stock is the pivot ball is metal and welded on. I don't think the stock ones fail very often, but it does seem possible. The Kartboy one definitely isn't going anywhere and shouldn't wear out. It could create a little more NVH, but I haven't noticed it. I would gladly take that trade for more solid shifts (although the difference due to the metal ball is basically negligible from what I can tell).

The dimensions of the Kartboy make for a 33% reduction in throw vs. stock and I believe the throws and feel will be good for many people. The shifter is also 1" shorter than the stock shifter. Sometimes I like the taller shifter, so I might swap back and forth between the Kartboy and SPT, but I do like how the Kartboy feels when shifting.

Overall I really like it. I was actually a bit concerned that the throws would be too short and/or notchy for my liking, but it really is not the case. The shifts feel nice and crisp, and very short. When paired with the Kartboy shifter bushings it really transforms the feel of the car.

Here are a few photos:

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote