Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #171
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru

Member#: 873
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
1971 240Z

THe Golf R is actually priced accordingly correct. Let me elaborate.

The Loaded GTI is about 31k. The Load WRX is about 31k. VW spent the money more on the interior and fit and finish than the drivetrain. Subaru ensured a more robust drivetrain.

The STI loaded to Golf R levels is well over 38k, the Golf R is 37k. Again same principle. VW put the money in the interior rather than making it an all out race car like the STI.

If you have to have hatch, you cannot even option up the hatch STI like the Golf R if you wanted to. You cannot get leather, you cannot get a sunroof, and you cannot get the bevy of neat-o little features the Golf R has. And the STI is still MORE expensive.

I will never say the Golf R is a better performance car than an STI. I have never said it. I said it is a better daily driver in every possible way imaginable. The Golf R is to the STI as the STI is to the EVO. IT is more livable, but gives up some raw performance to be such.

I can say this without a doubt so far. Out of the box, the Golf R is a far better car than my 2011 WRX was out of the box. Now I just have to hope the Golf holds together...LOL

All in all, I am very impressed by the opinions coming from a Subaru community. NOt nearly as much slant as I thought I was get. Good job guys.

The overall picture is this. The Golf R is not a track rat. It is very fast stealthy daily driver that has VERY high performance limits. Can it be made to go fast on the track. Sure, but just like a stock WRX, it takes some work to get the most out of it.

If this car holds together, it will probably take the honors as the best overall car I have ever owned. At least it will be in a tie with my Outback XT, which does everything so darn well.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.