Thread: EJ207 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #4937
2JZ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291949

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfelstead View Post
The oil filter takeoff point is the same on all the EJ2** engines. The Spec C oil cooler takeoff bolts on in place of the water cooled modine you have on the STi engines.

The nice thing about the spec c takeoff is that it uses hard lines over the exhaust headers, so there is less risk of cooking a braided hose line and that causing a failure when at elevated exhaust temps. The Spec C oil cooler isnt that large though, so if running over 400BHP i would say it's too small for track use.

So long as you heat shield the exhaust headers properly and thermal protect the braided lines properly, the traditional oil takeoff plate is just as reliable, but dont skimp on that aspect as you will have a resulting oil line failure and fire as a result when running hard on track.

I used to run wth the stock modine setup on my car at 450BHP levels doing sprints (autocross) and general road use, it's perfectly adequate for that use. Once going on track doing sustained load runs you will overheat the oil fairly quickly though.

I now have a very tidy oil cooler package, using a custom made race core radiator and combined oil cooler unit, with very short pipe runs for the cooler lines. I recently ran this at the nurburgring on the nordshliefe and GP circuits with circa 450BHP. Oil temp on the nordschliefe was 88 degrees C, on the GP circuit where it was much harder demand it peaked at 102 degrees C after 10 minutes then stayed there for the remaining 10 minutes flat out, fast enough to pass full race spec 997 GT3's and lap some serious German metal.
Wow awesome, thanks for sharing that. I currently autocross in my anemic 2.5i and would love to return with a EJ207 next season. But I also would like to move up to a proper local race track.
If I decide to run no oil cooler, I will just monitor the temperatures to prevent any problems.

I assume the oil temperature & pressure sensors for a EJ257 fit a EJ207 as well? Any recommendations as to which set to get exactly? The defi gauges look awfully expensive... are replica defi gauges an awful idea even if i use good sensors? Whats the best bang for my buck?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 2JZ; 11-24-2012 at 02:29 PM.
2JZ is online now   Reply With Quote