View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #3983
eastofthesunrise
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329379

Sunday ramble...

I freely confess to being a car guy. After all, that's what brought me to this site in the first place. I'm guessing that there are many other car guys and girls here too, I thought I might start to post a list of cars I have owned hoping that it might elicit comments and motivate others to post their own lists to share. I know it's kind of a cliche to do lists of (fill in the blank)'s but here goes anyway. If it doesn't work, it's going to be a long boring winter for me here.

Car: 1949 Cadillac 62. Battleship gray. V-8. Hydromatic transmission.
Comment: It wasn't really mine but it was the car I learned to drive on with the best dad in the world. Driveways and parking lots first and then the highway at fifteen years old. You always remember your first one.

Car: 1949 Buick Super. Black. "Fire Ball" straight 8. Dynaflow "Dynaslush" transmission.
Comment: It was a step down for the Sunrise family during hard times but it was the first car I drove solo after getting my license. Mother told me that if I couldn't say anything nice to keep my mouth shut. No further comment on the Buick.

194? Villiers. Cream and black. 1 cylinder. Used. Got it in trade for $20. and a Mossberg 151K.
Comment: It only had two wheels and you had to mix the gas with oil. Top speed was 65 MPH even when drafting but it got me to Hampton Beach and it was the first vehicle I actually owned myself. At least it wasn't a Vespa. I lusted for an Indian or a Beesa.

1949 Chevrolet Deluxe Business Coupe. Metallic green. Straight 6. Three on the tree. Used @ $100
Comment: Bought it with 39k miles from a LOL. Finally four wheels and a pink slip.The guys with the Fords and Mercs laughed but I drove it to California and back and it lasted me almost another 100,000 miles. Porter Seal did wonders for the cracked block. The back seat had stirrups but my adolescent fantasies were never fulfilled. It never died; it just faded away.

1967 Fiat Fiat 850 Spyder. Ferrari red. 4 Cylinder, rear engine. Four on the floor. New @ $1800.
Comment: Remember now, in '67 hamburger flippers were making a buck an hour. This ride was underpowered and really REALLY required premium gas but I had more positive remarks on the car's appearance than any other car I've owned since. Drove it in Northern California rallyes and then back to BOS with g/f via VAN and the trans Canada Highway. (Note to all you Lotharios out there. Don't let the lack of a back seat deter you from buying a car. I was able to do the nasty in a Fiat 850 so anything is possible.) Returned to Cali via I-80 on a fast trip with a large suitcase on the trunk luggage rack creating drag. Aerodynamics works both ways. Back in SFO with about 20,000 miles on the odo the mechanic told us the valves were shot. They blamed it on the suitcase, hahaha. Fix it again Tony! Time for a new car. You don't have to junk those things. Just wheel it out of the driveway and set it beside the weekly trash.

I'll take a break here in case everyone is asleep. If I continue into the twenty-first century it gets more interesting with T-Birds, Jaguars, Lexus, Infinit, a Trans Am and finally the best car of them all. A 2012 Subaru Impreza.

Happy Sunday!

Cheers from eastofthesunrise :-)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.