Scooby Newbie

Member#: 248151
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STI
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
For you guys who traded, can you put a number in your post what it cost to do the trade. I'm aware of what the cars cost new and the differences that can be out there if WRXs are in good supply and STis not so much. When I was looking (a year ago) because of the ability to negotiate on WRXs at that time and not on the STi, I saw $10k differences. What you guys actually paid is a far more accurate number, though.
They gave me $24k for my 2010 WRX Limited with 25k miles on it. This was through the Subaru Guaranteed Trade-in Program. I wouldn't have gotten that much without it, but that's what made it work for me.

The dealer had my 2013 ISM STI Base on the lot, it just came in and still had plastic on it (7 miles on the odo). The only options it had was wheel locks, door moldings, compass/dimming mirror and floor/cargo mats. They had it listed for a hair under $36k. The surprising bit was, before we even talked money, they came out with a sheet telling me what they would give me for my WRX as well as knocking $1k off of the STI. I expected them to not budge on the STI price at all. The only reason I can think of as to why they did this was because I'm a USAA member and after I had already contacted my dealer about the car and started the process, I had filled out a form on USAA's website to "find a car." They "found" this STI for me and sent the dealer a mail saying I was interested (even though I had already been working with them on it). USAA claimed the car should be roughly $1k less than the dealer listed. The dealer got this e-mail from USAA and preemptively started explaining why the price was higher than what USAA showed, even though I hadn't even asked them about it yet (they said it was higher because of the options).

Anyways, once the "numbers" sheet came out, they had it with $1000 off. That was great! I was going to try to get them to knock it down $1k anyway and expected to get laughed at. This was the only STI in the state (and I've only seen one in the state since). Maybe a pro negotiator could have brought them down a bit, but I'm certainly not one of those guys. These cars are hot and I imagine they have no problem selling them for what they ask.

So, moral of this story is... if you can find a "car finding" service online (or if you're a member of USAA) they can possibly get you a discount on the WRX/STI if they can find it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fushnica2 is offline   Reply With Quote