NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug23 View Post
I wouldn't re-doing all the hard lines too so, what's cheapest tools would I need to easily bend and flare the lines if I want to relocate the pump? What size and types of lines can I use?
Your local auto parts place should have lengths of brake line with the flares and flare nuts already on them, or without flares and no nuts. If you need to replace a line completely, then you want to buy the pre-flared lines. However, most of the time you should be able to just splice the existing lines (so you can reuse the existing ends with the existing flare nuts), so you can just buy the brake line without flares. IPretty much all the lines (for every car I've ever worked on) are 3/16", so the thing you would need to determine is what size flare nuts you need to match the factory flare nuts.

Those pre-flared lines mean you shouldn't have to mess with making inverted double flares at all. That's good, because they're a pain in the ass to form. When it comes time to splice lines, I strongly encourage you to use 37deg AN single flares. It's painfully easy to make a single flare (particularly compared to how hard it is to do an inverted double flare properly). I used steel unions, tube sleeves and tube nuts from Aircraft Spruce and a nice 37deg flare tool from them as well.

A simple tubing bender (again, available at any auto parts place) is all you'll need to bend the lines. There are expensive, swanky ones that you can get from Eastwood or other companies like that, but I just used one of these from NAPA or Autozone or whoever. Worked fine for me.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote