View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #189
djdalaney
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301136

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
I think he is saying cold engines will cause more wear. If you drive the car sooner it will warm the car up much sooner which overall has less wear than idling a cold engine for 10 min. There is no point to idling an engine that long unless you want the cabin to be warm before you get in it
This isn't true. There is not going to be any extra wear from idling for 10 minutes when the car is cold vs driving away after 30 seconds. I'm not saying you SHOULD idle for 10 minutes, but any wear caused by this will be NEGLIGIBLE over the life of your car. Excessive idling like stop and go traffic for 1 hour or more every day, could cause excessive bearing wear though. Even that probably won't make a difference in overall engine service life.

Let me repeat this one more time though, I am NOT suggesting that you warm your car up for 10 minutes before you start driving. I'm just trying to make it clear that if you did, it is not going to mean replacing your engine sooner than the guy who idles for 30 seconds before driving.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
djdalaney is offline   Reply With Quote