DDScooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 161876
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 Impreza WRX
WRB

Me again:

Updated what the cost is for a true 400+whp car. This is for a 2.0l 16bit ECU...and is becoming a dinosaur in the Subie tuning world. In reality, to make it "easier" so to speak, a Hydra EMS system would be ideal; however, I want to retain the car being as close to street "legal" as possible, and this adds cost to the build. -not to mention heartache to the tuner. haha

Build specs to date on the shopping list:

-Kelford 199-E cams ($850)
-SuperTech +1mm oversized int/exh valves ($220)
-SuperTech Springs/Ti retainers (possibly not necessary, but HIGHLY recommended)($320)
-ID 1000cc injectors ($520)
-coated intake manifold ($125)
-new head gaskets ($80)
-machine shop labor costs (~$800)
-short block inspection/ring/bearing replacements (~$300)
-Garrett GT3582R .82A/R (rotated/single scroll)($1550)
-custom FMIC/Up-pipe piping on top of APS DR525, custom downpipe, custom inlet/intake (retaining MAF pull through system) ($800)

-COBB Speed Density (new MAP sensor $200)
-Exhaust headers ($600)
-crap ton of heat wrap ($200)
-44mm EWG ($350)
-Element Tuning AOS/Catchcan ($299)
-Tune ($350)

This is on top of already existing on the car:

built ej257 motor
-CP 99.5mm 8.2CR pistons
-Manley rods
-newer OE STi Nitrided crank (Stock stroke)
-FULL STi 6spd swap w/Brembos, R180 rear end, and DCCDPro
-upgraded ACT SB4-HDSS clutch ($625)
-new OEM STi flywheel ($209)
...in addition to all this there are a crap ton of chassis/steering/suspension upgrades to make all this power "safe". But seriously, nothing beats common sense when behind the wheel and knowing your own capabilities. Not to mention being honest with yourself about said capabilities.

I don't even want to add that up because I'm sure I'll hang my head and do a facepalm. But this'll be a true 400+whp car on probably 99% of the dynos out there, and much fun for me to have.

Previous to this car made 327whp/310wtq with pretty much all bolt on stuff with an OE mounted turbo (Blouch 1.5XT-R).

The purpose of this is not bragging rights, but a realistic cost analysis for a reliable 400whp car, so that anyone else out there new or veteran subie owners can make an informed decision. Obviously this is isolated to a 2.0l 16bit ECU car. The later models, 06+ will have a different variant of modifications needed more than likely.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DDScooby is offline   Reply With Quote