View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #121
Evil Imports
Scooby Guru

Member#: 14732
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
+ 13 B8

I didn't like the size of the mirrors that come on the forester, but didn't want to lose the LED blinkers. I decided to buy a set of newer STI mirrors and hope they would work, Here is how to get them to swap on

First take the Mirror off the car (i would hope you could do this, if not you shouldn't do the swap)

I took the wiring pins out of the harness clip next, Release the holders on both sides, then using a tiny screwdriver you can release the pins 1 at a time, You should keep track of what wire is in what slot in the harness clip as it will make it easier later (write it down or take a pic of each side)

Flip the mirror over and you will see 3 screws, take them out

Where the wires run threw the base on the back, move the foam and you will see a small clip holing the wires, just pull that off so you can pull the wires threw so you can take the mirror off the base (do the same with both STI mirrors and forester mirrors)

Now you will have the Base from the forester (and the mirrors from the sti)

Now put the wires threw the base again and put the 3 bottom screws back in to hold them together, You will now notice (if you didn't already) that the STI mirrors have 5 wires and the Forester had 6,

2 wires for the LED and 3 wires for mirror on STI
2 wires for the LED and 4 wires for mirror on FXT

Only difference is the forester runs both wires threw, but the STI has them connected behind the mirror itself and just runs 1 wire out, when looking at the forester plug the yellow and blue wires do the same thing, so when putting the wire pins back in the harness clip you can put the common wire in either slot,

Here is a pic of the wires back in the clip, just make sure you put the wires in the correct slot when putting them back together and everything will work

and how they look on the car, i will need to paint the covers next week but you get the idea

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Evil Imports is offline   Reply With Quote