*** Banned ***

Member#: 328794
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Premium
Ice Silver Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheShark View Post
Wouldn't stop me from using their services if they weren't certified.

Doesn't take much to get ASE certified, I personally do not feel that being certified makes you a better mechanic, or vouches for much car knowledge in general.

I once watched my neighbor, who is ASE certified, drain his tranny fluid, then proceed to grossly overfill his motor oil.
i hear you. dealers break cars all the time. my maintenance background was with Army Small Engines (Generators, Water Pumps, Pressure Washers, HVAC units)

i trust ASE and i am against any form of Government Mandated Licensing.. the market will speak for itself.

i just like to establish a baseline. i consider myself an "enthusiast" as well. but i would never work on someone else' car at a shop. in my driveway? sure, you get what you pay for (bring me beer - LOL)

but a shop, i want to see a minimum level of measurable competency, not just billy bob who's been turning wrenches on him and his buddies subies on the weekends.

-that's the only reason i asked. curiosity. if i go somewhere and feel like i pulled into a Jiffy Lube (aka Pot Head with a nose ring and orange hair)... i'm out. not touching my car dude.

i've had problems with both independents and dealer service departments so i agree.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.