cnlson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310098
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza PremCVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
Just an fyi, I've had my oil level vary by a quarter of a quart when checking it while parked in two different areas back to back.
on my older outback there was two sets of marks for full and low. And I was kind of confused what to use to measure. When i asked a mechanic he explained that unlike a standard 4 cyl engine that has the oil pan directly below the cylinders and which drains back quite quickly the boxer motor has to drain horizontally as well as vertically. At the pump you were supposed to use the lower pair of marks and overnight, the higher low mark and higher full mark. since it would have had time to completely drain down.

for what it's worth, i ended up about 1/2 qt over full and had to suction out the extra 1/2 qt tonight. luckily i have a suction pump and some sample bottles so that wasn't too difficult.

I emailed the dealer today and the gallon of subie 0w20 is 26.96 and 4 individual qts are 27.66 however he would rather not have to deal with ordering the gallons so he would give me the 4 qts for the price of the gallon. so that is what, eventually I will do.

planning on checking with blackstone on if what i pulled can be used for a UOA or if it would be better to wait since i overfilled and had to suction the excess. My first UOA was pretty decent and i'm sure this one would be also.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote