View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #56
J-hop
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howl View Post
Remember that ABS doesn't help you stop sooner, particularly on snow. It prevents the wheels from locking up so you can steer. If your ABS kicks in look for someplace to steer to - don't look at the object you are about to hit.

The trick to winter driving is to anticipate what is going to happen. You need to be constantly reading the road conditions ahead of you and noting whether its snow, ice, wet or dry, if there are bumps, camber or obstacles to consider, and so on. Then, if you're being safe - slow down accordingly; or if you're having fun anticipate how much the car is going to slide. If you're going around an icy corner for example you need to turn in sooner than you normally would so the car is rotated just the right amount as it reaches the corner - in other words, slide in - straight out, not straight in - slide out. To do this you need to set the car up with the steering wheel, but actually control where the car is going by modulating the throttle and brakes. The only way to get a handle on this is to practice - and only practice in an empty parking lot or other location where you won't damage you car or other people's property.

whoa baby steps

if the OP is having the tail go out unintentionally he shouldn't be trying to put it out intentionally haha. But yea you do have a point, my dad took me out the first winter I drove and had me practice drifting in an empty parking lot, he would get me to start a turn then let off the gas, he would rip the ebrake and i'd have to correct for the slide. Then get me to hold drifts in a long circle and figure out how steering/brake/throttle input affected the slide.

This was great for learning what to do in a slide but he always made it clear that the best thing was to never get yourself into a slide in the first place (and I never have unintentionally!).

I was driving our subaru around in the snow yesterday and to be honest I am confused as to how you guys are putting the back end out under normal driving conditions. Now mine(the GF's actually) is an auto so i realize the power split under normal driving isn't the same as a manual. But once it slips and the power distribution changed I was trying to get the rear end out and I just couldn't. I found the thing just understeers around corners if you try to do that, not quite as bad as FWD cars but nothing like a RWD oversteer.

So my question is what are the conditions that you guys are getting the rear out?????

Also for those who keep repeating "under inflate your tires" which is not only wrong but I don't even think it fits with your theory. I believe those that say under-inflate your tires think that it will give you more surface area to grip. But have you ever looked at a diagram of what an under-inflated tire looks like? it cups in the center so that tread area isn't even really effective, so your theory refutes itself....

so KEEP YOUR TIRES PROPERLY INFLATED... that is all

edit: looks like the above tire comment was meant for a different snow driving thread where people keep repeating "reduce your air pressure", but lets just nip this misunderstanding in the bud!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by J-hop; 12-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.
J-hop is offline   Reply With Quote