equiraptor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300017
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFalcon View Post
Is it possible for someone who heavily modified their Subaru outperform a stock M3?
I know a Subaru (originally an STI) that, given the same track, the same level of tires (sizes appropriate for the individual cars), both cars set up well, and both cars driven by me, is faster around a road course than our GT3 RS. And lest you blame the driver, I can actually use the GT3, so this isn't just a case of the easier car being faster. However, this particular Subaru is so heavily modified, it's less practical than the GT3. The Scooby isn't street legal. It has no rear doors (just body panels) leading to no rear seat. The trunk is full of a fuel cell. As the GT3 RS is faster than an M3, it's certainly possible to modify a Subaru to outperform an M3.

Quote:
Assuming the money they put in is still significantly less than buying a stock M3.
That's questionable and will depend on a lot of other factors. How streetable would you want the car to be? How much of an emphasis on comfort, on practicality? Are the rear seats important? How much weight reduction can you tolerate (cars get loud and squeaky/rattly/etc. with significant weight reduction)?

Honestly, I'd suggest you follow others' build threads for a while. Watch people build up their Subarus. See what they find useful, what they find not worthwhile, what they find tolerable, what they don't. You'll be able to get a much better idea of what you could do, what you would enjoy doing, from that. You'll also learn a lot about cars in the process, so when it becomes time to consider modifying your car, you'll come from a much more informed position.

Quote:
IOnly downside with the new M3 now is that I can't rev the engine above 4500 RPM for the next 12,000 miles so the engine can break in or I may damage it. Not very knowledgeable about cars, but I know I was told something similar when I bought a new motorized 50cc beach cruiser to not full throttle for one tank of gas because the engine needed to break in. Just a random question I'd like to have answered.
12,000 miles? Not, say, 1,200? Or even... 600? Recommended break-in seems to vary depending on manufacturer and country of purchase. Really, what you should do to break in the engine is make sure you vary the revs, and don't make extensive use of the top end (last 1,000rpm or so) for the first few hundred miles (500 to 1000, check your manual to see what's recommended for your car). For other components, either a few tests (pushing the brakes hard to make sure they grip well and ABS engages as it should) or the engine break-in (for things like the transmission) should be fine.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
equiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote