EnderDragoon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300176
Chapter/Region: SWIC

MY - 1997
Miles - 220k
Trans - 5MT
Age - 15

The previous owner said Subaru had an engine recall and went in for an engine swap at 40k miles (I purchased her at 80k miles). Therefore only 180k on this engine but zero issues with the head gasket, or really anything with the car. As far as things that have been replaced that wore out on their own (stuff I didn't break) I've replaced the radiator, alternator, a set of front wheel bearings and the driven gear that turns the VSS. Funny thing about that is the shop I took it to tore the trans apart to get to it and they said all the gears were in perfect condition as of 170k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05wagon View Post
I'm considering the purchase of an '03 Legacy wagon with the 2.5 non-turbo... From what I've read the '03 supposedly isn't affected (according to Subaru). I don't see any signs of external HG failure and the coolant looks clean, the car's got 130K on it... I should be in the green as far as HG is concerned, no?? That's my only real issue with the car, it looks to be in great shape! Any input would be greatly appreciated from 03 owners or those knowledgable
By 2003 they changed to the multilayer HG that weren't prone to the common HG failures of the EJ25s I believe. I cannot recall what year that went into place however so I hope someone else can corroborate this.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
EnderDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote