equiraptor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300017
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD04WRX View Post
^^^ This. When I managed a shop I would have laughed at a customer that complained about 2 miles added to the car (though it never happened). When a customer signed our work orders it included a clause giving us permission to operate the vehicle for repair purposes which includes a test drive after repairs are done. I don't know what work was done on the door but when we did bodywork on cars we would test drive to check for air leaks or other noises that could be related to the repairs. It's called quality control. If you don't want your car driven off the lot when you take it in for repairs you must tell them up front and write it on the repair order.
They may have needed to take it to a highway to be able to safely get it up to speed to test for wind noises well.

Once upon a time, a window was broken in one of our cars by a thief. We had the window repaired and picked up the car. Not long after, we noticed wind noise from that window that started around 80mph. The freeways around the shop that repaired the car have a 65mph speed limit (or maybe it's 60 - not anywhere near 80). They had, of course, tested the car, but didn't take it up to 80, as they didn't have a legal place they could do so in a reasonable distance. Putting two miles on the car is reasonable to find a place for a higher speed test. The 10 to 20 miles they'd have had to go (20 to 40+ miles on the car) wouldn't have been reasonable.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
equiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote