Member#: 309257
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp 5D Prem CVT
Marine Blue

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post
^ Maybe terrain is playing a much bigger effect on the CVT figures than we expect or realize? Just a thought.

Not in my experience, unless people are resetting the gauge while on the freeway while they are heading downhill when they get the higher numbers.

Whenever I borrow my wife's car for long, round trip, jaunts into the mountains for hiking, overall I get good gas mileage. Albeit it may get down to 14-18mpg on the final push up to the top/pass, the 50-90mpg makes up for it coming back down and in the summer I can go over three 3000 foot passes and still average 36mpg for the entire trip 200+ mile trip.

What really seems to kill it is short drives, cold temps, speeds above 65mph, lead foots, and winter gas. Its not finicky at all....

but averaging out, with an out and back or up and down hills, it seems to do fine, as long as its not combined with any of the other multitude of factors that hammers down the gas mileage in the Imp.

My wife is currently getting 20-24mpg with "mixed" driving. Temps are relatively mild here in the Seattle area, but much of her driving is under 3 miles per trip, and she won't admit that she exercises the "sporty fun" of this car with a bit of a lead foot.... quite a bit. Her freeway portion of driving is very tame, barely going over 60mph....not enough to make up for the cold start, short runs.

We had hoped for better "city" mileage, but lets face it...its a fun car to drive, and when we do have to drive long trips, then it does get good mileage at least, so its a keeper.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
thom52 is offline   Reply With Quote