Indy Cars and Coffee
has teamed up with Gleaners Food Bank
to volunteer on January 12th from 9am-12pm to help feed hungry children that normally go with little or no food over the weekend. These children rely on the subsidized food that they receive at school on school days, and their family can't afford real meals on the weekend to feed their growing bodies! What we will be participating in is the BackSacks
program. In this program we sort and separate several food items and gather them into a bag that is donated from a local store, and these bags get delivered to the families. It requires very little effort and only a few hours of your time. I participated in this program back in October for just a couple of hours, and my small group packed over 1200 BackSacks
Here is some quick information from the Gleaners website:
Gleaners began delivering BackSacks in 2006 and has continually strived to improve and expand the program. This year, for the first time, Gleaners is proud to offer the BackSack program to schools in all 21 counties throughout its service area. Additionally, Gleaners worked with Lilly Six-Sigma professionals to develop a tool that helps school officials accurately identify chronically hungry children, thereby ensuring that BackSacks are being received by those students that need it most. As of October 2011, 66 schools operated the program, serving approximately 3,400 children, with the goal of reaching 10,000 children by the end of the 2011-2012 school year. This program is completely free to schools and is provided by Gleaners Food Bank at no cost to the students and families.
If you would like to join, respond to this thread, and/or email me at Casey.Szink@IndyCarsAndCoffee.com
stating that you will attend, and how many people you are bringing as I have to provide an official head count to them by January 9th. This is very important as inventory and activities are planned based on the number of volunteers! In the meantime, please read this important information from Gleaners about the program:
- AGE LIMITS: On weekends, NO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 9 will be allowed in the Food Bank due to safety concerns. Children under 18 years old must have adult supervision.
- WHAT TO WEAR: All volunteers MUST WEAR CLOSE-TOED SHOES. Dress in layers, as the warehouse can vary in temperature. You may want to bring coats, gloves, pants, etc. as some projects are in the cooler. We do have coats and gloves available for volunteer use.
- WHERE TO ENTER THE BUILDING: Park in the front lot. Enter through the Main Office Doors, behind flagpoles.
- FORMS: The following links contain the volunteer guidelines, directions to the 3737 Waldemere location, and a Gleaners volunteer release form (one needed per volunteer per calendar year). If all new volunteers could please bring a completed copy of the release form with them, that would be extremely helpful.
Volunteer Release Form
Volunteer Driving Direction to Waldemere
- ORIENTATION VIDEO: Here is a link to their video which will provide you with more information about what they do at Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana and what you are doing by volunteering.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Thank you for your support in serving Indiana’s hungry, and we look forward to your volunteerism!