Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #99
Scooby921
Merci Buckets

Member#: 88606
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2016 Cayman GTS
Dark Blue Metallic

GM has some very talented engineers with some fantastic ideas. Unfortunately it comes down to upper management putting a target on the vehicle cost and a lot of the nice features cost more and when the estimated production cost comes in over budget things get axed.

This isn't just interiors. There are a lot of products the GM suspension engineers would like to outfit with the fancy MagnetoRheological shocks they use on the Corvette and Caddy's, but when costs need to be cut that's one of the first things to go. I'm sure the driveline teams want to use fancy active differentials and torque vectoring, but when cost limitations are applied a lot of desired technologies get axed. NVH performance could be improved in a lot of vehicles if someone would approve a more expensive active engine mount instead of a basic rubber puck. But spending $10/part vs. $40/part counts for a lot over 400k vehicles.

Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes all have a history and reputation for luxury. GM (outside of Cadillac) has always been a more mainstream, budget-minded, "normal people" brand. While we all want the fancy features in the BMW we can't afford them. This is why we buy a Ford or a Chevy. They still get us from point A to point B, and they do it well, but they don't have a nice an interior. But then they cost 30-50% less.

It really isn't a question of talent. It's a question of funding and approval. It doesn't matter what the designers think and draw up. If management doesn't see it fitting with the corporate direction it gets dismissed and they go back to the drawing board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdwrx View Post
Exactly, some people here expect a Chevy "R8" for $50k.

Don't talk down on Chevy though, the Cadillac ATS caught up to the 3 series big time.
I would say the ATS surpassed the 3 series in appearance. BMW has gotten fugly in recent years. Interior and performance are still up for debate, but I'd much rather look at an ATS than any of BMW's products currently. They've gone downhill since the E46.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote