Thread: ('11-'14) First snow with AWD
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #89
subbie206
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264071

I'm in Seattle where its obviously rainy and only gets snow maybe once or twice a year in the city. The stock all season yoko's are fine for the rain so far but I was thinking about getting a more dedicated winter tire for snow since I like to go up to the mountains a few times a season to snowboard. It would also be nice to have for the occasional snow in the city. I probably don't need an expensive or hardcore snow tire but something that's best bang for the buck without sacrificing MPG, Noise, and dry weather handling. The tires will only be on the car for a few months a year. So far, the General Altimax Arctic's are pretty reasonably priced and get good reviews. I guess for myself and my situation, any of the tires I listed below would be more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabarupp View Post
Where are you located? It should help inform you on your choice.

For example, i drive on dunlop wintersport 3d on both the sti and the Impreza. Here in Pittsburgh there is not constantly snow all over the roads, but there are times of bad weather that you need to be prepared for. I was looking for a reasonable price, with good performance when it was slippery, but also weren't total marshmallows when the road is dry (since the roads are pretty clear most of the time). The wintersports fit this bill nicely.

On the other hand, if you live where it is constantly snowing, or the area you live in does not do a particularly good job of clearing the roads, you may want a more hardcore snow tire such as Blizzaks or the Nokians. However, these tires are expensive, really mushy if it is dry or if the temps warm up, and can wear out very fast.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subbie206 is offline   Reply With Quote