View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #96
bakadayo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41230

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Yes, but what we do then is enact a EV and hybrid usage tax.

It is not fair that they get to use the roads as much as other people in their heavy battery assisted cars and not pay for the damage they are causing...

It is time they pay their fair share as well.
I can see that happening over time; but not anytime soon. We are still in the beginning of switching over to an electric paradigm for our automotive transportation. I can see in the future when: vehicular surcharge on electric bill based on vehicle registration, or surcharge on a specific outlet. But the latter seems very easily defeated. Also, when gas pumps have switched over to electric charging stations, there should be a comparable electric tax on that too. But again, I think it's too early for that. In the future when electric is mainstream, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1rfa View Post
Because not all damage to roads is incremental wear cause by use. Much of it is simply age. So a gas tax is only a half-solution. Charge a use tax to pay for the portion of the damage which is expected due to aging, and charge a gas tax for incremental wear.
I believe other taxes and fees already cover this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilson View Post
I still think that gas tax should be very high in dense populated areas and very low in sparsely populated areas.
I'm not sure I agree with this. People who live in dense area (say downtown) most likely take the transit, bike, etc. and only drive out. It doesn't make sense to penalize them that way to me. On the flip side, there are lots of suburbanites whom drive in from their sparse area, and so shouldn't they be taxed more? They could very easily fill up away from downtown although they use the roads much more than the people who live there.

I'd rather see a city core toll/entrance fee like London has - I believe they call it congestion charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtoS View Post
How about smarter spending on the roads? Here in NJ it's pretty damn common in my area to have roads paved RIGHT before winter. Low and behold a thousand potholes come spring time from fresh pavement and the ever so expensive yet lack luster pot hole fix. If government was actually ethical and not trying to give their big money friends business at our expense maybe roads could be affordable.
I'll definitely agree with this. There's a lot of rhetoric about spending cuts, but I think more focus should be on identifying and cutting out the "gravy"; it's a fine line of difference between the two IMHO; and I think people who are mis-using funds to benefit their buddies should be put to task for conflict-of-interest/fraud or whatever it's called.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bakadayo is offline   Reply With Quote