View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
magman007
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224012
Default Compression Test Results?

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to buy an 06 sti and had the owner take the car in for a ppi, compression and leak down test. The dealer was unable to do the leak down due to not having a proper tool? But my real question is with the results.

Cyl 1 was 115 and 2-4 were all 110. I understand that "spec" is between 140 and 170. I have spoken to a tech independent from the situation and they say its not the number but the consistency between the cylinders that matters. The car has 45 k miles on it, was stage 2 AP then pro tuned for the last 2 years and has been returned to stock. The tech that performed the test says he has seen plenty of "healthy" STIs in the 115 120 range.

Now I'm not the smartest or most mechanically inclined but I do understand that compression has a direct correlation to power generation if the compression was 30psi less than spec wouldn't the car be down on power? Am I buying myself a rebuild shortly down the road or should I feel confident in buying an otherwise clean car?

The engine was not "Cold" it still had some heat in it, but was definitely not at operating temp. I have yet to speak to the tech (calling tomorrow) The owner has been nothing short of awesome and great to work with, and I have tickets to go get the car next Saturday. So Nasioc I need to make a decision and i need some assistance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
magman007 is offline   Reply With Quote