Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #667
P3Auto
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 241881
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

With the power steering pump typically when air is in the system the results are noise, wheel shuddering when turning, complete loss of power steering, if you look in the fluid res you will see froth or bubbles. There is a sensor on the pump that is designed to raise the rpms slightly at low rpm to give the pump some extra power. I don't think I have seen the system raise the revs that much before however.

The first thing I would do is fix the leaks. All of the hoses and the o-ring can be changed for under $100 so you should do that first. After that I would check the basics, make sure you don't have any vac leaks or other physical issues with your engine and mods.

If after all the basics are checked you could try replacing the sensor on the power steering pump or swapping it with someone else to see if it makes a difference.

Seth
P3 Import Autowerks 907-355-6655
http://www.p3auto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuztomimportz View Post
Ok so I recently found I have a small powered steering leak under the car there is a rubber hose that is just deteriorating after 10 years. Then the other day I noticed that when I turn the wheel it's making the rpms jump substantially. When idling at 500rpm it can jump up to 1500 and sometimes 2500 rpms when I turn the wheel. The worst part is when I'm driving in first gear and turn the wheel because it accelerates the car forward. Any idea what might be causing this thing to jump that much. I was thinking either the switch attached to the p/s pump or possibly air in the line? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote