View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #2147
Red.
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325458
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
As mentioned before, flash is usually betweek 5000-5500K. Normal light bulbs are maybe 2700K and regular florescents are probably a little over 3000K. So if you are mixing flash and indoor lighting it just won't work. You either have to gel the flash to match the color temp, or adjust your settings such that the flash is your only source of light. If you have mixed lighting you will never be able to get the white balance correct.
Just as an illustration (for anyone who might learn from my mistakes) to the mixed lighting sources and WB here is an example of a photo with light sources of two different temps - one of daylight (~5500K) and the other from household lights (~2500-3000K). The little girl's (my daughter) face is lit with more yellow household light, while the back and legs are lit from sunlight through a big sliding glass door. It was kind of an "ah-ha!" moment for me while I was reviewing the photos, trying to even out the WB. This was shot in jpg, edited in iphoto and is about as good as it is going to get. I'm sure in photoshop this could be better balanced, and I believe in LR4 you can adjust color temps with the selective editing brush? But, I'm ok with it how it is for what it is.

[IMG]
_DSC0233 by Aspiratho, on Flickr[/IMG]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Red. is offline   Reply With Quote