View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #2148
Red.
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325458
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_one View Post
Yea i felt that i was lacking alot of lighting. I really wanted to capture the "night time" feeling. but i guess editing and better lighting would give me that.
You can still capture that "night time feeling" and have a properly lit subject. Part of the problem though is that you seem to be working entirely with the available lighting. I'm not saying it is impossible, it will just be a challenge. If your camera allows you to manually set a WB, turn it down as low as you can for those god-awful streetlights (~2000K, if you can) and then cross your fingers. Your camera's AWB hates most street lights. At least, my camera does.

Quote:
So for ISO, what effects does having a higher or lower ISO do for photos?
ISO refers to how quickly your camera can record info on the sensor - how sensitive it is to light coming through your lens. The higher the number, the faster (more sensitive) it will pick up that light and make an image. But, the trade-off is, the higher your ISO the more "noise" you will see in the pictures. For most cameras it isn't a problem until you get above 800 or 1600 or so. Lots of unwanted noise will detract from image cleanness and clarity.

Quote:

When you say "soft" and "noisy", what do you mean by that?
I believe when they said "soft" they were referring to your focus not being crisp. Get more light on your subject (probably a longer shutter speed) to improve this, as well as making sure that your focus is accurate.

If you want to get into night and low light photography an essential bit of kit is a tripod. You don't have to break the bank, you just need something to hold your camera steady.

A good website with lots of tutorials and useful examples and general photo info is http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Red. is offline   Reply With Quote