Scooby Newbie

Member#: 308583
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
OBP/DGM 5-Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog39 View Post
Yes I understand that. My point is, that Subaru appears tot have put HID's in a reflector housing. If you take a look at the link in my previous post you could see it. Subaru does not use projectors for their optional HIDs on the Canadian models. Thus, I would assume it's the same reflector housing as everyone else.
HID version

Non HID version

It's not the same.

Upon first glance, they appear to be the same, but the difference is the HID version reflector has a base for a D2R bulb, and the D2R bulb has a paint stripe on the bulb to prevent light from reflecting upward (stripe points down so that light doesn't hit the reflector) and the HID housing also has an auto-leveling motor.

Your HID kit includes an H11 rebased HID bulb that does NOT have the paint stripe and is not 'point-of-light' centered in the reflector, so it will not have the light thrown the right way.

It may be only off by a hair, but that does affect the way light comes out of the reflector.

Bottom line: Reflector housing HIDs have D2R bulbs, and are measured to make sure the light is coming from the reflector correctly. HID bulbs in a halogen bulb reflector WILL CAUSE GLARE (whether minimal or not).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote