Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
metajames
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204765
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

For power I used the Rocketfish "Dual USB Vehicle Charger" I tried like 4 or 5 chargers before finding one that works. I didn't want it just flapping around in the dash so I added a radio shack accessory 12V outlet to the inside of my housing, some weldon 16 acrylic glue and it was solid. The outlet is wired to a Metra stereo wiring harness, just for power so that it is switched when the car turns on and also runs off the original head unit circuit and fuse. The harness also gives me the option to add dimmer control in the future. The rocketfish adapter plugs into the power socket and then connects to the tablet using a short USB cable with right angle plug on the micro USB end. Keeps all the cable routing clean and low profile.

Right angle micro USB

Accessory socket with power adapter and wiring harness.

A anti glare screen protector was added to cut down on reflections in the car.

Notice the softness of the reflection from outside my window, helps allot.

The whole thing mounted in the car with the bezel off.

With tablet removed.

Pulling the mounting rig out of the dash

Blue box is the Parrot unit mounted in the stock sat radio position.

You can also see where I had to trim back part of the dash to get enough clearance for the depth of the tablet. Still curious how others did this without trimming, even with the back cover removed I couldn't get it to fit.

Playing from Spotify.

Overall I'm really happy with how this turned out, thanks to black thunder then zedix for the inspiration.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
metajames is offline   Reply With Quote