Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #303
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

A note to anyone else with this kit...

One of the studs on the uppipe needs to be installed backwards from how you'd normally install a stud in order to clear the casting where the wastegate is:

If you place the uppipe to manifold flange flat against a workbench, then the stud that is highest above your workbench is the one that needs to be backwards.

At first I was going to be pissed since I thought I was going to have to cut and grind this stud that's like 3/8ths too tall, but I calmed down a lot when I realized I could just put it in backwards and there was enough thread. Not full thread on the nut, but enough. It would have been nice to have some indication of this beforehand, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out.

Also, once I got the stud turned around, the nut included barely clears. The top of the nut isn't flat, as a form of thread locking, the raised portion rubbed on the housing. I thought I was cross threading at first, but it cleared and would just give a tiny bite every 1/2 turn. Clearance is tight on all the nuts, but that one is the tightest as the WG path "cuts the corner. It definitely makes for a really smooth WG path. I never really looked too carefully at the WG path on the VF turbos, but when I saw the EFR, I compared the WG path to the other turbos I had lying around... yeah, no wonder people have boost creep issues with the stock turbo...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Concillian; 01-28-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote