View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #308
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

I got the USDM / singlescroll AVCS line in place so I could check things out.

Here is what I've found:
- right side coolant fits right up to the soft line as in the above picture.
- provided oil feed line is made 180 degrees from an "easy" orientation to screw into the turbo and USDM AVCS oil line. The 90 degree bends form an "S" where it would be easiest if they were a "U" or even one was straight.

Here's a pic showing both of these things:

There is just enough slack in the line to twist it into fitting, so this is not a show stopper.
2.0L / non-AVCS people can fit the line fairly comfortably directly to the head port, but would need to purchase a -4 AN fitting that adapted to the banjo into the head.

The orientation of the t-bolt clamp matters as well. This is where mine was when I unpacked the turbo:

It may not be obvious, but it would go right through the tranny housing if there was a tranny housing there. I had to rotate the T-bolt to the "bottom" of the turbo to clear the tranny. Looks like the oil line will clear, but as with everything else with this install, it's tight. I think the 3/8 NPT to -10AN adapter will be long enough that it should be fine.

Lastly, the stock coolant line from the TD04 I had in my garage does not fit. The banjo is too small (12mm). So this kit is not designed with TD04 owners in mind (WRX <08)... looking at the FR site, they sell this as an STi kit. I have no idea if the STi turbo is 14mm banjos. I hope my FP 18G has 14mm banjos (it did, and they fit.)

I think this concludes my engine stand work until I can get an intake manifold gasket (will be delivered tomorrow) and find an NPT to -10 AN adapter for the oil drain (later edit I found one locally and used it. FR had one in the mail and it showed up the next day.) Gonna get the car in the air and prep to pull the engine out (hopefully Thursday).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Concillian; 02-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote