Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
SubySal
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 43011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza RS
PacificaBlue/BlackTarmacs

I just wrote a letter requesting a rule change to the SCCA SEB. Even if just the people in this thread sent one letter it would give them cause to take a hard look at the rule.

Copy of letter...
"This pertains to 14.10 J. The rules read that replacement engine mounts must weigh no less than the OE mount. I understand the reason for the rule here, but this is a problem for myself and other Subaru owners. Subaru's are great cars, but their engine mounts suck.

I have an 06 STI which came with the worst of them. It came with plastic liquid filled engine mounts. They break frequently under normal conditions so as you can imagine they're not even usuable for autocross. To spite being plastic they are very heavy too making any other mounts an illegal mod.

Even Subaru's equipped with normal mounts that can legally go to group N mounts are having issues because they break too during autocross use. Better built aftermarket mounts tend be be a bit lighter so welding metal onto the mounts (as ballast) has been discussed to make them legal, but I feel that may pose both a reliability and safety issue.

If there anything that can be done to the existing rule to legally accommodate beefier mounts it would greatly appreciated."

This letter is for example purposes so there is no need to critique it OK.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SubySal is offline   Reply With Quote