Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
neversummer89
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 330438
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX
Silver

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Hence my noobie status - I am trying to learn!

I am vaguely interested in doing a basic upgrade like you suggested KP, but I'm not 100% on that yet. I've been looking into what's required to get a VF39 installed, but I don't feel proficient enough myself yet to install those components and I figure a shop would probably try to bone me on the labor over it.

My turbo may or may not be fried, it's kind of a long story but here it is: drove into the mountains and when I arrived found a coolant leak. The engine bay was not overheating and the heat temps were normal.

Filled up the coolant, drove it back. It was leaking still when I arrived home but the temps were fine. I then drove it to a shop to get the radiator replaced, and the turbo worked 100%, but the temps were edging higher on the way there.

They replaced the radiator, and now my turbo doesn't produce any boost or spool. Can't achieve anything above 4k RPM - weak. The shop says oh ok you need a new turbo. How convenient for them. Turbo worked great, now it's fried. I doubt my car overheated and my research tells me that the head gaskets would have blown up before the turbo fried. I'm not positive though, but I don't trust them any longer. They offered a 6 month warranty on used turbo installations and wanted to charge me about $600 total. Not awful but again, no trust with those guys any longer.

Anyway, after this whole fiasco I have decided I'm mainly done with shops after this job and will do my own repairs. I would ask what is required for the turbo/DP/tune/injector set up, but in the spirit of learning this stuff, I'll do my own homework. If you have any brand recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
neversummer89 is offline   Reply With Quote