Member#: 326537
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi Wagon
Crystal Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA2 View Post
Hello.

I'm hoping for input on taking my 2011 WRX hatchback to stage 2, with a catted dp and exhaust. I'd like a little better performance and a nicer sound. I've read through many threads on these forums, and think I have a decent idea of what I'd like... unfortunately the most difficult part is determining how the exhaust will sound (even with all the videos floating around). The main consideration is that I'm in my 40's (and relatively old for a WRX owner ) with a wife and two kids, so there are certain things that may matter a bit more to me than other owners... If anyone has valuable input and would like to help me decide, feel free to comment.

Some criteria:

1) It has to be quiet-ish. I would like to the exhaust to sound deeper and "meaner", but not really louder in the car (especially at speed). Outside the car, it can be slightly louder, but again the focus would be on a deeper, rumbling sound and not high volume. NO DRONE whatsoever. Of course, it can't sound stock or be so quiet that it was a waste of money.

2) It has to be high quality, but not too expensive. I don't have a large amount of disposable income, but I also don't have the time or patience to mess around with crappy products. I like supporting "good" companies that offer a well made product and support it before/after the purchase. Easy installation and fitment are also key.

3) Continuing on with #2, I want to spend enough money to reach my goals, but no more and no less. In other words, if a mid pipe would be nice but not worth the extra $$$ for someone like me, then maybe I shouldn't consider it. Other input on if certain products are worth it or not, and price vs performance suggestions are definitely welcomed. There is very little chance I'll go beyond stage 2.

4) I want it to look nice, but not stand out. Think slightly nicer than stock, but it definitely can't stick out the back or bottom of the car or be gaudy. It also has to hold up to upstate NY winters and being used as a dd.

Right now, I am sort of leaning towards nameless catted DP, with their Magnaflow mufflered axle back (or maybe 5" exhaust). I was going to keep the stock midpipe to save money. Anyone have experience with the nameless on the hatch? How about pics of the 10% gloss black finish installed? What effect would the nameless midpipe have on the sound for this setup? Are there other quality, mid priced exhausts that would fit the bill? (I listened to a video of the Cobb exhaust and it sounded great, but the price is higher and its hard to tell without experiencing in it person.)

I'll probably go with the Cobb Accessport for tuning, and buy a custom map from an online tuner (suggestions?).

I am 32 years old so I know what you mean. I would Highly suggest:

Perrin catted downpipe
Process West TMIC
Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller
SPT Axle Back Exhaust and Mid-Pipe
You might need a grimmspeed downpipe adapter

As for a tune, I would suggest an Open Source Tune from a reputable tuner, but others might say go COBB. That choice I leave up to you sir.

You will be very happy with the HP/TQ results and sound levels. If you want more HP/TQ then it is a good start.

Good luck!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by RIBahler; 01-31-2013 at 12:58 PM.
RIBahler is offline   Reply With Quote