Scooby Newbie

Member#: 345650
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Bugeye
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by metajames View Post
Yes, I'm concerned about heat. Trying to think through some ways to address that. Right now it's winter so I have a few months to figure it out.

I use tasker to turn on screen and wifi when the power is applied via USB. The power adapter is switched.

Nothing fancy in tasker right now just wifi and screen on / off.

During testing I tried out many of the car apps and hated them all, car home ultra is not bad but overall did not like them. I decided that I put the tablet into the car because I really like the stock android experience so why ruin a good thing...

I've been researching IOIO + tasker options for a few ideas. Screen dimming with dash dimmer, timed charging, cooling etc.

Anti-glare helps allot, and had the added surprise benefit of making the tablet polarized sunglasses compatible.

I plan to replicate your setup on my '02 WRX.
Thinking about heat, my idea is to use a usb fan

and connect that to some of battery pack that supports pass-through charging like the HyperJuice Mini

and connecting it to the usb fans. The fans would still run when the car is off, and would probably run a long time with a decent sized battery pack.
add in a USB on/off switch

and you have an easy cooling system that will run all day.

I was thinking of drilling holes in the Nexus cover and mounting the fans with Sugru (or some adhesive). You could even go as far are popping off the back cover of the Nexus 7 itself and drilling a few holes. Ifixit.com did a teardown and the back cover comes off very quickly.

I plan to install a radio where my clock is using a Upper Dash DIN mount and just running an AUX cable to the Nexus. The power with use a 12v adapter that my mechanic will run straight to the battery to charge the device.

I am also going to hid a NFC tag behind my dash that will trigger my phone to turn on WIFI hotspot and connect to my Nexus for internet.

I'm going to start with buying the Dash mount and redoing my radio before anything else. I kind of want to find a ****ty looking deck that that has Back AUX out to deter theft. All I would use the radio for is to power speakers volume/radio. Any Suggestions on something not flashy?

I might wait and see about a 1080p Nexus 7 that could come out in may (Link)

Can you tell me which Metra radio mount you used specifically?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DriveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote