Scooby Newbie

Member#: 167627
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Ltd Hatch
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOrz View Post
When I down shift, I brake, depress the clutch, drop to the lower gear, rev match, and engage the lower gear in one smooth motion. It just feels right to me. Sounds like I shouldn't be doing that though.

Hitting that stiff, hard clutch twice seems inefficeint to me and tedious.

What kind of problems am I setting myself up for doing it that way? If someone can explain to me how bad I am being maybe I'll change my ways .
Double clutching was needed to synchronize the engine with the gears in older cars before synchros. Otherwise the gears would grind or wouldn't go into gear at all. With the invent of the synchro, double-clutching became unnecessary unless in specific conditions such as the aforementioned 2-1 downshift or when racing and skipping multiple gears. Even in the latter case, you most likely don't have to double-clutch; you'll just be saving your synchros from a lot of wear if you do.

With that said, if you're currently only rev-matching, you are unlikely to be creating any problems down the road. Double-clutching is just something that many find fun to master when enjoying the experience of a manual transmission.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cheezmunky is offline   Reply With Quote