Old 02-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
ShardAerithes
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102049
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 STi
PSM

Right now I'm borrowing a 93 Civic DX to get to work.

If GD parts are dropping in value, it may not make sense to sell the stuff and buy another STi, but to get one with no engine/trans and drop my stuff into it. (or a GC)

I don't have a TON of time, but I do have Sundays and will have 2 days off a week in the next couple months.

I have most every tool necessary to do a swap, I would just have to source a hoist for the motor. I have the space to do it, however it would be in a yard unless I can find a garage. I've done transmission swaps in a yard before, so I think I can do it. I also stand a good chance of finding a friend with a garage to do it in.

My concern with a swap into a GC is the little differences, like wiring harnesses for the DCCD, AEM EMS, if the clutch type is the same (push vs pull?), axles, hubs, driveshaft?

How safe is GC vs. GD?

My other concern is insurance coverage. Insurance on a GC would be cheaper than a GD STi, but if I had full coverage and wrecked again (god forbid) I could get the STi replaced, but the GC would be a total loss except for what is salvageable (like right now!)

I know that some of the suspension brackets/mounts are broken or bent as my swaybar was hanging down and my front subframe connector is bent all to hell.

If I do a swap it seems like it'll be a long project, which I am OK with as I will probably drive a beater around to save on gas anyway. I wanted to park my STi and drive something cheaper, I just had started this new career and was waiting to get out of training before making any moves.

Right now I am liking the idea of a blown motor/trans STi (or WRX?) due to the ease of putting my components into it.

How easy are GC swaps in terms of parts/wiring compatibility? What about putting my hubs, brakes, good suspension components, interior, motor/trans, etc into a WRX rolling chassis? Would an STi rolling chassis be the best option?

My budget is not much. I can afford a cheap beater to kick around in while I make the best of this Subaru situation. I should be getting a decent wage here soon (sales @ Ford Lincoln Subaru), however, the woman in my life wants me to be a responsible man-folk and quit blowing too much cash on cars and gas as her RX-8 is getting old and she needs something different as well, and we want to be buying a house in a couple of years. So I can likely make due with a beater and take a small (150/mo) loan for a rolling chassis (will a bank finance that? or buy a cheaper rolling chassis outright) to put my components in, and then pay cash as it's available for necessary items like brackets mounts and bearings and other nickle-diming typical with doing a swap.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ShardAerithes; 02-08-2013 at 11:12 AM.
ShardAerithes is offline   Reply With Quote