Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283048
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Ltd Hatch
SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteve View Post
OP, thanks for the heads up. How many miles do you have on the filter now? That's some scary chit that the affected filters will fail within 300 miles (at the latest)!!
I had about 200 miles on the oil when I changed the oil filter last night (reusing the same oil). I checked the oil level before every trip just to be safe.

There was oil visibly pooling on the underbody cover and an oil droplet collecting on the bottom of the filter. Also oil dripping down nearby surfaces. Maybe about 1/16 quart in total.

Also to clarify, the 1-qt dealership oil reimbursement is liquid reimbursement, not monetary reimbursement, and you must provide a copy of an oil receipt for them. They gave me 1 quart of SM GF-4 Subaru Synthetic 5W-30.

Additionally, you must take off any installed recalled filter before they exchange it as a defective product through the service department - necessitating two trips to the dealer, unless you have a non-recall or different brand filter handy to swap it out with. YMMV at your dealer - maybe they can figure out how to do a refund on oil you did not purchase from them.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
furiouswrx is offline   Reply With Quote